Frequently Asked Questions

Opening an Account

-Do I have to open an account?

-How long does it take to open an account?
Once you complete the online registration form, you can submit your request instantly.

-Is there a fee for opening an account?
No, we do not charge a fee for opening an account.


General Questions

-I have a new service and need a work order, how do I get one?
Register for online services and fill out an order online and submit it along with your documents.

-I filled out a work order and no longer need it, how can I cancel it?
You can cancel a work order by contacting Cal West Attorney Services,
Inc. or call 213-353-9100.

-Can I email a filing or a service of process?
Yes, however your document and the Cal West work order must be scanned to one file and email to

-What areas do you cover?
We cover all of California and All other states.

-Do I need a work order for each assignment?
Yes, we require a work order for each assignment. However, you may use one work order for more than one document. If you have papers to serve, you must have a separate work order for each party being served.

-What is the difference between Do Today and Routine services?
Do Today is received by our deadline and completed by the end of the day. Routine is received by our deadline and will be attempted within 48 hours.


Court Questions

-Will all California Courts accept e-filing filings?
Most California Courts accept e-filings. Some are still hand filing courts.

-Does the court require the originals?
No. According to California Rules of Court #2007(d) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, including sections 255 and 260 of the Evidence Code, a signature produced by facsimile transmission is an original.

-How will I get confirmation that my documents were filed?

You will receive email confirmation and will be able to view your conform copies on our portal.

-How do you handle court filing fees?
Cal West Attorney Service, Inc. will advance any fees for customers in good standing. In cases of extremely large advances (over 100.00) Cal West may request immediate reimbursement from a firm credit card.

-Does Cal West Attorney Service, Inc. offer any guarantees?

Cal West submits your filing to the court, and the court clerk makes the final decision on whether your document is filed or not.

-What do you do with the original summons once the court issues it?
As of January 1, 2007, California Superior Courts do not return summons.


Process Questions

-Are you able to serve a faxed document?
Yes, we can serve any documents faxed for service of process. However, some courts require the original document(s).

-Do you file a proof of service after serving the documents?

Yes. Cal West will file all LA county proof of service.

-Will you advance witness fees?
Yes, we will advance any witness fees for customers in good standing.


Research Questions

-Can you guarantee to obtain my copies?
No, because we do not control the court file and have limited court access.

-How do I get my copies once you have obtained them?
We upload the requested document in our portal for our client review.